/javascript" src="static/js/analytics.js"> Hoyt Farm

Old Historic Long Island
Pictures of Historic Buildings and Places on Long Island

SUFFOLK
COUNTY

Babylon

Brookhaven

Huntington

Islip

Riverhead

Smithtown
________

Site Listing

Home


Hoyt Farm
Smithtown Town Park - Open to local residence only


Originally one of Commack's oldest farms it became a Town Park in 1965


The center first floor of the house was built around 1770 by John Wicks on the Winniecomack patient
Edwin C. Hoyt, a New York City lawyer, purchased the land in 1910 as a Summer home.
He added a second floor and dormers to the old 1770 house


Following a nervous breakdown he left NYC for good and retired to his Summer home in Commack
Making this his full time residence two large extensions were added to both ends of the house


Edwin C. Hoyt quickly took to apple growing restoring a small old orchard
Within a few  years he was growing apples and peaches on over 350 acres
He named the place Crooked Hill Farm and sold fruit from Montauk to Manhattan


Most of the original farm buildings still remain


One of the old barns and two corn cribs


An old silo made of cement and probably a milk house


A building used for school trips


The garage and workshop with a pig pen on the side


For many years there was a 300lb pig named Penny, now there is a new little pig Nickel


A roster and a sleeping pig


This barn is where they keep the cow, sheep and goats


Today the animals are out at one of the pastures


A pen with chickens in it and some loose ones running around the barnyard


The rabbit hutch with 2 rabbits sleeping in the mid day heat


The road to Oak Pasture, but no animals?


There are many roads and nature trails to walk along and explore in the park


We found the pasture where the animal's are grazing today


The goats seem to come and go here and there while the sheep tend to follow the cow around


The park offers various types of habitats for the local wildlife

Native American Camp


A cow skull on a poll along with a carved totem are to protect the small camp


A wigwam made of tree branches and bark provides shelter from the weather


A vegetable garden with a fence to keep animals out. A roofed work area used during the day

The World War One Cannons


Following WWI these cannons stood in front of the Town Hall as a memorial
At the end of WWII a new set of cannons was donated to the town and the old ones placed here


The cannons were removed years ago for restoration and have just been put back in place in 2011

NASSAU
COUNTY
                         
Hempstead

Manhasset

Oyster Bay
________

Manors
and
Mansions

________

Walking
Tours

________

Cemeteries
________
 

SEO Services on Long Island, New York

By Robert A. Saal 2013